Statue of LibertyJason, his parents and I have discussed a trip to NYC for about 6 months now and it's hard to believe it just came and went so quickly. We flew out at 6:30 AM on December 10. Waking up at 3:30 AM wasn't fun, but the flights went well and Miia was an angel. We arrived at La Guardia at 4:30 PM, we just about froze waiting for our shuttle. We heard it would be cold, but I had no idea! We checked in to Cassa Hotel, which is between Times Square and Rockefeller Center (great location!). It is a newer hotel so unfortunately there were some issues, like a broken elevator, a broken heater in my in-laws' room and the lobby was unfinished, so it too was cold. Overall though, the room itself was very nice and comfortable and they had a cute crib for Miia.
Miia in her cribThe first night we ate at Stardust Diner where the staff sings classic songs while you enjoy burgers and milkshakes. It was a lot of fun and we got a taste of the crowds of New York as we walked back to our hotel from Times Square. On our way back, we walked by some extra-large decorations and Radio City Music Hall.



On Monday, we walked to 34th street to view the decorated windows of Macy's and Lord and Taylor. We went in to Macy's to discover the most crowded store I've ever seen. It took Carol and I about half an hour (maybe more), to find a lounge where I could feed Miia and maneuvering a stroller through a crowded store is not easy! Miia did get to meet Santa for the first time though and I thought for sure she would cry, but instead she was just very curious about this hairy, fat guy that was holding her.



On Monday, we walked to 34th street to view the decorated windows of Macy's and Lord and Taylor. We went in to Macy's to discover the most crowded store I've ever seen. It took Carol and I about half an hour (maybe more), to find a lounge where I could feed Miia and maneuvering a stroller through a crowded store is not easy! Miia did get to meet Santa for the first time though and I thought for sure she would cry, but instead she was just very curious about this hairy, fat guy that was holding her.
Miia sits on Santa's lapAfter an entire day of walking the streets of NY, we finally sat down and ate dinner at Heartland Brewery before we headed to the top of the Empire State Building. Unfortunately I was sick with a cold all week, so I had a big bowl of chicken noodle soup to help me out! Miia slept through dinner and almost all of the viewing from the top, but when we went outside, 84 floors up, the blast of cold woke her up. We couldn't bear to stay out any longer, so we took a picture of Miia at the bottom in front of a picture of the building so that we can tell her she was there.
At the top of the Empire State Building, freezing!
Miia at the Empire State BuildingAfter the Empire State Building, we walked back to Rockefeller Center to join thousands of other tourists who were viewing the tree, ice skating rink, and beautifully decorated center area. We also went to Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
Standing in front of the tree
Rockefeller Center decorationsThat night we went out for dessert and when our $70 bill came we just about fainted. Welcome to New York!

On Tuesday we went to the American Museum of Natural History. It was another long day of walking, so we were exhausted by the end of the day, but at least we were inside in a warm building. That night we went to John's Pizza for some New York-style pizza. It was delicious and warmed us up.
Wednesday I met with my friend Lindsay, whom I lived with in LA for about 6 months. It was great to catch up with her. She wanted to meet Miia so we met the rest of the family where they are rebuilding the World Trade Center. The new building is well underway. The last time I was there, was 6 months after 9-11, so it was quite different. There is still a small memorial area for those who lost their lives, but it looks like the focus is now the new building.
We parted ways with Lindsay and headed to Battery Park to visit the Statue of Liberty. Unfortunately we didn't leave the Statue early enough to visit Ellis Island, but it was so cold that I think we were all ok with returning to our hotel as soon as possible. We did stop for dinner first at a cajun place on 44th. However, Miia got sick in the restaurant so I practically ran her back to our hotel where she ended up getting sick again. I think she ate too much, too fast since we hadn't been diligent about getting feedings in earlier in the day. As amazing of a traveler as Miia is, the crazy NY pace is hard on a baby. Although, she did love saying hi to all the people on the street and the lights fascinated her.
View of NY from Liberty Island
Jason and Miia in front of the Statue of Liberty
Carol, Jim, Jason, Miia and Kirsti in front of the original torchThursday was a lazy day, but I had plans to meet with one of the partners for GMAT Club for my new job. I was so glad I could fit in the meetings and I was back as the rest of the family was getting up. I bought fresh baked bagels and it was probably one of the best bagels I've ever had. Jason, Carol and I then went to the Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes Christmas show. Jim stayed at the hotel with Miia and he entertained her for a few hours. They both survived, so apparently it went well! The show was great and it made Carol and I wish we'd seen some other plays while we were there. That night we dinner at Daniella's, a small Italian restaurant on 8th St. I think everyone agreed that it was our best meal (generally every morning started with Starbucks and we wouldn't eat again until dinner).
Friday I met with another company for my job and then went back to the hotel to find out that Miia had been awake and cranky since I left 2 hours before. I think she was ready to head home and so were the rest of us. I got her down for a nap and we finished packing. After one last walk around the Rockefeller Center, we left for the airport to begin our long journey home. We didn't get home until about 1 AM and Miia was awake for nearly all that time. Luckily we all got to sleep in the next morning.
Although we only give Miia her pacifier for naps and bedtime, she loves it. She found it attached to her stroller and wanted it so badly that she stood under the tray to suck on it. I might be in trouble when I start taking away the pacifier!
Although we only give Miia her pacifier for naps and bedtime, she loves it. She found it attached to her stroller and wanted it so badly that she stood under the tray to suck on it. I might be in trouble when I start taking away the pacifier!
There was still so much of NY to see, but I guess it will have to wait for another trip! Miia has now traveled coast to coast before the age of 1 and I am so thrilled that she is such a good traveler. Although the trips over the past year are wonderful highlights, it is the little stuff, like Miia sleeping in my arms or hugging my legs or giving me a slobbery kiss followed by a toothy grin that makes me feel so much joy.






No comments:
Post a Comment