Monday, July 5, 2010

5 Months



Our little Miia turned 5 months old! She has had a busy couple of weeks, including her first flight! We flew to Texas the last weekend of June for a family reunion. Miia did great on the plane, but toward the end of the weekend she was so tired. Of course, being a child, she wouldn't let herself fall asleep on the plane, but luckily her whines were quiet enough that she didn't seem to bother people around us.

Taking a drink of water at the airport with Mummi's help before we go on our first flight.



Getting ready for takeoff!

Whew we made it to Denver for our layover.

Waking up from a nap on the empty seat next to me on the flight to Texas.

It was wonderful meeting some Kiser's I've never met before (but you sure can tell they're family). Then there were others that I haven't seen since 1994. We were celebrating my Great Aunt Kate's 90th birthday, so we got some fun photos of Miia with her Great-Great Aunt. I feel so fortunate to have so much family! We visited the capital in Austin and Miia was fascinated by everything.


Austin, Texas State Capitol building


Aunt Nancy, Cousin Lori, Aunt Rita and Mummi with Miia as we enter the capitol.

Taking a break in one of the offices.

Miia gets to "ride" on the saddle

We had bbq Friday night and amazing fried chicken and macaroni cheese at my aunt's party on Saturday. At the party, they set off fireworks and Miia did not like them at all. Poor baby cried like they were hurting her, so I took her inside and realize I probably won't get to see fireworks for the 4th of July either. Miia missed most of her naps, but was still so well-behaved. I couldn't ask for a better baby! Jason didn't join us for the weekend, so we sure did miss him!

Miia with my dad's cousin Janna at the bbq

Miia with her great-great Aunt Kate

Aunt Kate's birthday cake with my second cousins' kids.

The second cousins


Grandpa gives Miia a drink of water--it was so hot and humid!

Since my mom stayed in Texas for another week, Miia had the opportunity to spend the day with my cousin Krissy and her two daughters on Monday. They took her to see my grandma and played all day (except for when she was sleeping). That night Miia had her first "solid" food! We gave her some rice cereal and she did great! Of course it was messy, but so neat to see this next step. We tried it again the next couple of nights, and I don't know if it was because she was too hungry (Tues night), not hungry enough (Wed night) or too tired, but she didn't eat as well. We will keep trying! There is a video below if you want to see it in action.


Miia's first bites!

Most of the time she preferred to eat her bib than the cereal


Her facial expressions are priceless!



On Tuesday, we had her doctor's appointment so we got some new stats:
  • 14 lbs 5 oz (50th percentile; she weighs less than I thought!)
  • 25-1/2 inches (75th percentile)
  • Hair: more hair is finally appearing, so Jason styles it in a mohawk and it is looking strawberry blonde
  • Eyes: still blue!
Our little angel would not smile for the doctor and usually brag about how smiley she is, but she was even less smiley after she got her shots. The doctor said she's ahead of her age group as far as her developments (rolling over, etc.). He told us how to prepare the house for crawling and standing up--I am not ready for that! Miia made it from her mat to the stereo in a matter of minutes, so we do have to keep a close eye on her.


Miia spent Wednesday with my friend Robin and her daughter Peyton. Robin said she did well, but she wanted to be held a lot. Having her shots the day before, I'm sure did not help. I am so appreciative of the friends and family that I have to help me out with Miia!

A day at Robin's

The next day, Thursday, July 2, Miia took the next step toward independence--she sat by herself for some period of time. I even had the video camera close enough to capture a few seconds of the occurance.




We celebrated the 4th of July at 2 bbqs. First we went to our friend's house. Then we went to my parents house for swimming and more food, but I failed to take any pictures, so I'm grateful that Sylvia took the one of Katie and Miia below.

Katie and Miia play on the 4th of July

No comments:

Post a Comment