Friday, April 8, 2011

Fourteen Months



Miia's big thing this month has been to point to the areas of our body and have us tell her what they are, but now we can ask her where our nose or tummy is and she will point to it on us or herself (or her baby, who she still carries around) and she knows just about every major part. She loves to push her baby in the stroller and brings us her shoes so that we'll put them on to go outside. In fact, we now have to hide her shoes from her because she cries when we won't let her go out (like when it's pouring rain or 30 degrees out). Maybe this summer I'll actually get tan when I get to be outside with her so much! I keep trying to get her to be interested in a tv show just so I can have several minutes to get things done, but other than pointing when the dog appears or attempting to turn the tv on and off, she could care less--which is probably a good sign. She also loves to throw Lexi's ball and they chase each other around. She is getting very good at running and enthralled with opposites, like "push" and "pull" or "up" and "down" so she does squats (with my 2 lb weight, no less), just to hear me say "up, down" over and over and over again. Where's my video camera in moments like that, right?


Some good news, Jason got a promotion so he is now a senior QA/software tester. I am so proud of him and so thankful that he works hard so I can stay him with Miia and keep my part-time job. I have finally tried taking advantage of the flexibility of my job to get Miia more involved in play groups because she is somewhat shy. My sister-in-law is a great example--she takes her 6-month old to something different nearly every day. I am lucky to get out once a week! Miia and I joined Tara and Mallorie at the library for a singing session. Now I'm looking into swim classes for May and was hoping to do ballet and gymnastics in July and August, but because Miia won't be 18 months til 8/5, I can't enroll her yet, so I will just have to be patient and not rush. For now, we'll just keep her play time a more "free play" rather than orgainzed play and focus on swimming.

Miia's 14 month stats:

  • Weight: 19 lbs

  • Height: 30"

  • # of teeth: 10, with 2 on the way (her first two molars appeared on the bottom, which has not been fun, and now her two top molars are poking through)


Language skills:

  • English: baa (when asked what a sheep says), car, blueberry (although more just the blue part), bath, this (mostly with a question inflection to ask us what "this" is

  • Finnish: Puu (tree), koira (dog)

  • Sign Language: bath



Miia pushes her baby then climbs in her tunnel

and carries around her spoon in her mouth (possibly mimicking the dog)


We took another trip to Vacaville to meet my cousin Teija, Eric and their 3 kids. Keef, Tara, and Mallorie were able to join us this time. After a delicious meal at Amici's, we took the kids the Nut Tree to play.
Miia and I on the carousel Mallorie as a bee (if you recall, I have one of these pictures of Miia from last year) Jason and Miia ride the rocking horse. Riding the train with Teija and Ryan Of course I have to include one of Lexi, who loved to "catch" Miia's balloons. You notice Miia in the background getting into Lexi's food and water--an hourly occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment